Safety advice for the construction industry
When it comes to construction, Essential Energy can provide safety advice for people who operate:
- Tip trucks
- Cranes or high machinery
- Under boring/trenching machinery
- Civil construction machinery
We also provide advice for trade people.
With all work safety, use these steps as a guide:
- Spot any hazards and consider the work to be done.
- Assess the risks from these hazards. What are the possible outcomes?
- Fix the problem so it's safe to commence work.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the solutions you have put in place. Do they work and how well?
- Never use tools or appliances with damaged power cords.
- Don't use power tools in wet or damp areas.
- Make sure you wear proper footwear at work. An electric shock is more likely to be fatal if you're working with bare feet.
- When digging or excavating, ensure you know the location of all underground powerlines.
Click on the downloadable documents below to find out more about safety in construction.
Essential Energy recommends property owners mark powerlines to increase their visibility and help prevent incidents occurring. Essential Energy can install the markers at a reasonable cost. If you identify an area of concern please fill out the Powerline Marker Enquiry Form
to request further information.